The purpose of the Visual Impairments Department is to provide itinerant support, consultative, and direct services to students with a clinically diagnosed visual impairment that functionally interferes with the student’s access to the educational program.
Services are provided in two areas by specifically trained educators:
- Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments who provides instruction in support of the academic and extra-curricular needs of students.
- Orientation and Mobility Specialist who provides instruction in techniques of safe and efficient travel addressing the implications of a visual impairment on independence.
- Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER or AERBVI)
- National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
- National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (NAPVI)
- American Council of the Blind (ACB)
- American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
- American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
- National Organization for Albinism and Hypo pigmentation