Early Childhood Screenings (ECS): This is a Child Find procedure often used by Special Education staff in cooperation with local school districts and other agencies to locate, identify and when necessary, serve special education children before they enter school.
Early Childhood Special Education Services (ECSE): These services are offered to improve educational opportunities available to children with disabilities from ages 3-5 with mild or severe problems in motor, self-help, social, cognitive, or language development. Services are typically in the Least Restrictive Environment with possible support from speech, hearing, school social workers, occupational therapists, and physical therapists.
Great Prairie AEA has responsibility to find, evaluate and serve all children and adolescents with disabilities within the 14 county areas we serve. This is done through referrals from parents and community agencies, screening of large groups of children with parental permission, such as 3 year old developmental screenings, screening of all children in selected grades in public schools, such as hearing screening, and partnership with local district (public and non-public) school staff members.
- Parents Rights Booklet (PDF)
- US Department of Education IDEA
- Misunderstandings and Misinformation on Child Find
An infant or toddler under the age of three who:
- has a condition or disability that is known to have a high probability of later delays if early intervention services were not provided, or
- is already experiencing a 25% delay in one or more areas of growth and development.
Early ACCESS Regional Liaison/Coordinator
800-382-8970 Ext. 3025 Mt. Pleasant Office
319-753-6561 Ext. 1103 Burlington Office
Related Links & Documents
- Child Health Specialty Clinics (CHSC)
- Department of Public Health (DPH)
- Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Early ACCESS Iowa
- Iowa COMPASS
- Part C Federal Rules
Iowa Quality Preschool Program Standards and Criteria (IQPPS): Agency staff is available to answer questions concerning the use of Iowa's Quality Preschool Program Standards.
Early Childhood Specialist
800-382-8970 Ext. 5336 Ottumwa Office
Early Childhood Consultant
319-753-6561 Ext. 1108 Burlington Office