Educational research indicates the most effective resource for student achievement is the teacher in the classroom, followed closely by the second most effective resource that promotes student achievement in our schools - the superintendent's and principal's leadership.
Based on the importance of leadership and its effect on student achievement Great Prairie AEA is committed to providing quality leadership services that will help all administrators improve their leadership skills that will transfer to the ever-changing educational setting in which we work.
In the area of leadership development Great Prairie Area Education Agency provides a variety of programs and workshops that promote leadership development. These programs are as follows:
- Classroom eWalk-Through Training- The purpose of Classroom Walk-Through Training is to provide principals and others who coach teachers, strategies for using walk-throughs and structured feedback as a vehicle for maximizing student achievement.
- Curriculum Leaders- Network with area Curriculum Leaders; receive updates on critical topics & legislation; exchange ideas and information; and engage in learning around relevant topics.
- Evaluator Approval Training- GPAEA provides opportunities for administrators to complete the 6-day training requirement for evaluator approval level I.
- Leadership Connection - Monthly email blog for building leaders.
- Learning Teams- Opportunities are provided to district administrative teams for intensive study of current professional literature. Focus is placed on application of key concepts to current district needs.
- Superintendents Meeting- Each month Area Superintendents come together to discuss issues pertaining to education. Monthly speakers are scheduled to update the Superintendents on the latest news and trends that will impact their school districts.
- Superintendents' Network- Superintendents' Network - Each Area Education Agency (AEA) in Iowa offers superintendents an opportunity to join a Superintendents' Network. Iowa is the only state in the nation that has a statewide ‘network of networks’ dedicated to supporting superintendents in their work as instructional leaders.
- Superintendents Retreat- Each spring the agency sponsors a joint superintendent retreat that responds to leadership development and emerging issues for superintendents in the agency.
- Principals Network- The purpose of the network is intended to give principals time together to share building activities, discuss professional learning and to problem solve.
- Professional Library- As part of the AEA Media Center, the Professional Library contains reference/support materials designed for professional growth and development. All items are available via Web/MAX, including the "Top 10"!
- SAI New Principal Mentoring Program- Identifying potential mentors for new area principals is one way GPAEA supports SAI's Principals Mentoring program. Monetary support is also provided.
- School Budget Workshop- Each year the agency holds a school budget workshop for superintendents, business managers, and board secretaries. The goal of the workshop is to assist schools in completing their school budget in a single work session.
Dr. Jon Sheldahl
800-328-8970 Ext. 1214 Burlington & Ottumwa Offices
Leadership Development Coordinator
641-682-8591 Ext. 5229 Ottumwa Office
Related Links & Documents